Saturday 24 May 2008

Back to Exeter: My Child the Christian?

Today, I travel down for the Exeter Huss Conference, a conference I think some of you may know my opinion of... I do find it slightly amusing that I'm traveling down so soon after a bungled bomb attempt occurred in the centre of Exeter. To my mind it's not surprising that this recent attempt was made by some nutty convert – converts are normally much more scary than your run of the mill fundamentalist.

Indeed, Chris and I have decided that if we have children (surrogate mothers apply below) we’re going to bring them up as Christians, take them to church each week and send them to a faith school. That way they can do the normal thing and reject it when they’re older … Otherwise, you might have a child who feels you’ve given them no spiritual outlet, and then they decide to become an Evangelical Christian … (Wouldn’t that be a nightmare – although I guess it would be the ultimate teenage rebellion if you were brought up by two men…)

On a serious note, I don’t think I’d mind if one of my children did become a Christian, but you’d hope they pick a denomination that isn’t too enthusiastic or preachy…

Catholicism does have the longest pedigree, and it’s tempting because you can make your children feel guilty for life … Personally however, I think I prefer Anglo-Catholicism because it has the best of both worlds – the liturgical element (the bells/smells), which is drawn from Catholicism, and the wishy-washy liberal element drawn from Anglicanism.

On a side issue, if you’re gay and want to get laid just join a theological college - so many high Anglican gays – sometimes I’m amazed when I meet a straight male Anglican! Normally they’re married off pretty early I think … Another important point is that you still get good wine at high Anglican churches – I really do feel sorry for Methodists who have to drink fruit juice …

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been to a few Evangelical churches and I love a ‘Shine Jesus Shine’ like the next man but I do think that if you were to use an analogy such churches would equal a bottle of Lambrusco/Blue Nun (cheap, sweet and easy to get drunk on, but with very little depth). Normally, thank God, most people’s tastes mature as they get older.

No comments: