Wednesday 28 May 2008

Exeter Escapades

Now that I have given my paper at the HuSS conference I've got some time to report back on my wonderful week in Exeter.

The journey from Norwich to Plymouth (I was staying over at a friend's) was not too bad, although I did have to listen to a group of lads talking about how they were going to "Ball some Bitches" in Newquay...

Before I arrived in Exeter I had the opportunity to see three of my oldest and dearest friends (Betty, Sally and Dorothy). I've known these lovely ladies for at least ten years now and we've had many an amazing evening, normally involving copious quantities of alcohol... We spent the Sunday in Brixham, at a post-wedding reception and caught up with each other's gossip. I even learnt something new about Sally - apparently she was haunted at a young age by a ghost that made her room smell of scampi. Her mum used to tell her off because she thought Sally was eating loads of scampi and lemon nicnaks! Here is a petition to bring these crisps back...

Old friends are quite funny - because they are often such a contrast to the friends that I have made since I've been at University, who generally, have similar views/beliefs to myself. [In other words, they are more likely to agree with me - YEAH!]. I did feel sorry for the feminist movement in general after Sally and Dorothy both claimed at one point that (A) 'People shouldn't get any Child Benefits' [Because people would then stop having children apparently...](B) 'Those on the Dole should be forced into conscription' [It will give them direction!] and (C) 'Things were much better 30 years ago' [Do I have to comment here?]. Nevertheless, at least they love the gays! Well, I assume so anyway!

After Brixham I traveled to Exeter, and Rachel, who is a star - let me stay at hers for the evening (at very short notice). I also finally finished/dumbed down my paper... The next day the paper appeared to go well - The chair was slightly annoyed with me because I had completely ignored/deleted an email he had sent me asking for information about myself... However, after I presented, he said that he'd really enjoyed the paper - so presumably it was half-decent... Indeed, he even patted me on the arm when I next saw him (in a toilet...) That evening we preceded to the HUSS conference dinner, where I tried to get a few of my fellow History PhD students drunk. Apparently, I had already put one of my friends off white wine for life at a previous gathering! Most of you will realise that this is a grossly unfair accusation and that I would never intentionally try to get someone drunk. Anyway, I persuaded my friend to have some red wine instead - and she accepted!

All in all, the trip to Exeter has been very enjoyable. Tomorrow morning I'm off to the lovely town of Guildford!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never try to get anyone drunk? My abiding memory of university involves you and a lot of pennies!

Anonymous said...

Now then Mister Matt - where is the bit about the drunken escapades in the Firehouse et al. last night??? I hope you haven't blanked us out already! It was lovely to see you, please come and stay again soon! Lou x x x